Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- $1,150,000 settlement of motor vehicle traumatic brain injury claim. Client was a pedestrian who was struck and seriously injured by a teenage driver while trying to cross the road at a crosswalk in Portland, Oregon. Teen driver was involved in illegal drag racing at the time, tested positive for marijuana and was traveling at a high rate of speed.
- $1,000,000 settlement in boating accident case. Client suffered catastrophic leg injury when boat’s engine became energized, pulling client’s leg into boat propeller.
- $515,000 settlement of crushed pelvis as a result of motor vehicle accident in Portland, Oregon. Client was the passenger of a vehicle that was t-boned in the middle of the night by a teenage driver who had run a red light at a high rate of speed.
- $350,000 settlement in wrongful death case against an assisted living facility based in Milwaukie, Oregon. Employees of the assisted living facility broke elderly woman’s arm and over medicated her with narcotic pain medication to hide the injury. By the time the elderly woman’s family discovered the injury, she was near death.
- Confidential amount paid in settlement for motor vehicle traumatic brain injury claim in Portland, Oregon. Client was a physician, who was forced to retire as result of a traumatic brain injury he suffered when his sedan was hit by a commercial truck making an illegal left turn. The truck driver was believed to be on his cell phone at the time of the accident.
Employment Litigation and Civil Rights:
- $1,250,000 judgment for retaliation claim following jury trial in Portland, Oregon. Verdict found that Li Ning, a Chinese athletic shoe company, retaliated against a director-level employee who complained he was demoted because of his race and national origin. Read about the judgment.
- $1,200,000 judgment for age discrimination claim against Daimler Trucks North America following jury trial. Former level 4 Engineering Department manager in Portland, Oregon. Dr. Josef Loczi was the plaintiff. Read about Dr. Loczi’s case in The Oregonian and Portland Business Journal.
- $933,900 paid by Port of Astoria for firing two employees in retaliation for reporting mismanagement, gross waste of public funds and abuse of authority. Read about the suit and settlement.
- $620,000 judgment for Sarbanes-Oxley Act whistleblower claim against Riverview Community Bank in Vancouver, Washington. Client was an auditor for the bank who was fired for reporting alleged fraud at the bank. Read about the suit and settlement.
- $445,000 12-person jury verdict finding McKenzie-Willamette Medical Center improperly fired its employee surgeon for objecting to the hospitals interference in patient care in Eugene, Oregon.
- Confidential amount paid to former Thai cooks alleging that they were enslaved by the now defunct Typhoon! restaurant in Portland, Oregon as a result of a very complicated immigration plan for Thai immigrants traveling to the United States. See articles in The Oregonian and Portland Business Journal.
- Confidential amount paid in settlement for university worker in pregnancy discrimination case. Worker was fired by her company when worker was almost nine months pregnant and despite fact that worker had an exemplary performance record.
- $1,620,635 judgment for product defect claim following jury trial. Land O’Lakes Purina found liable for destroying our client’s dairy herd with toxic feed in Tillamook, Oregon. Read more in The Oregonian and The Daily Astorian.
- $818,075 judgment for breach of dairy lease following jury trial. Represented the dairy in a case involving a lease dispute between a Tillamook-based dairy and its landlord. Jury found the landlord liable for breaching the parties’ lease, and for causing significant economic harm to the dairy.
- $527,000 judgment for wrongful lien following jury trial where two New Jersey transportation companies refused to release an invalid lien they filed against our clients’ cranberry farm in Gearhart, Oregon.
- Successfully defended small business against litigation filed by a competitor accusing the client of tortious interference with business relations. Case proceeded to an evidentiary hearing at the preliminary junction stage. The court denied the competitor’s motion for a preliminary injunction and granted client’s motion to dismiss.
- Successfully defended former owner of publishing business from lawsuit filed by the purchaser of said business. Purchaser alleged that the sale agreement it signed was unconscionable and thus unenforceable. Purchaser sought a temporary restraining order preventing client from enforcing the terms of the sale agreement, which the court denied. Case later moved to private arbitration, where client prevailed and retook ownership of the publishing business. Client was also awarded attorney fees.
- Successfully defended fishing company from allegations made by rival company of trademark misappropriation and tradename dilution. Case proceeded to an evidentiary hearing at the preliminary injunction stage. The court denied the rival company’s motion, and the case was later dismissed.
- Successfully defended arbitration matter wherein client, the half-owner of small real estate business, was sued by the other half-owner, seeking to expel client as an owner from the business. Case settled amicably with each client splitting the business assets.